Skip to main content

Whispering Purples

 

Whispering Purples. Digital art created on canvas. October 5, 2024. Afrika Abney 


“Creativity is frequently associated with purple, which distinctly emerges as a representation of imagination and uniqueness. This remarkable shade merges the serene stability of blue with the intense vitality of red, creating a color that encapsulates both peacefulness and enthusiasm. Thus, the notion of purple creativity illustrates a seamless integration of contemplative thought and energetic expression.


Within the realm of artistic expression, Whispering Purples serves as a vivid reminder of the profound connection between color and creativity. Purple, as a color, is often linked to the realms of imagination and originality, standing out among a diverse palette. The combination of the calming qualities of blue and the passionate undertones of red results in a hue that not only conveys tranquility but also ignites a sense of fervor. Consequently, purple creativity symbolizes a delicate equilibrium between introspective contemplation and vibrant artistic output.


This color, which is often associated with imaginative thought and originality, stands apart in the spectrum of artistic expression. By blending the soothing attributes of blue with the dynamic energy of red, purple emerges as a color that harmonizes serenity with passion. In this way, purple creativity reflects a balanced interplay between reflective insight and spirited expression, making it a powerful symbol in the world of art and innovation.”


Popular posts from this blog

Canvas of Experiences

  Canvas of Experiences. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  I am a dedicated and passionate professional. In the 1990s up until 1996, I was a teenager. I chose brown ochre to represent the color of my skin. White and black to represent the racism and discrimination that I began to experience in the 1990s and continued beyond the 1990s. There is darkness within the experiences of racism and discrimination. However, the contrasting colors represent the persistence of overcoming the hardships of experiencing racism and discrimination. Selected 1992 - 1993 Experiences: Congressional Art Competition. 1992 - 1993 ART CURATOR. New Harlem Gallery, New York City. 1992 - 1993. Installed art for some of the exhibitions held at the New Harlem Gallery. Past 1995 - 1998 Workshops: KUUMBA ARTS AND CRAFTS PROGRAM. D.C. Department of Recreation (Emery Recreation Center, Parkview Recreation Center, Hamilton Recreation Center and Upshur Recreation Center) from 1997 - ...

MIDNIGHTROSE: A Reading Series of Poetry and Prose features Mr. Kenneth Carroll, Ms. Elizabeth Bruce and Ms.Sasa Aakil

  “MidnightRose serves as a vibrant platform that highlights the diverse voices of multigenerational and multicultural writers from the Washington Metropolitan Region and beyond. This initiative is brought to life by Esther Productions Inc., in collaboration with The Institute for African American Writing and The Black Student Fund. The series aims to celebrate the literary talents within the community, showcasing a variety of poetic and prose works that reflect the rich tapestry of experiences and perspectives that define the region. Attendees of MidnightRose can expect to engage with a dynamic array of award-winning poets and authors, each bringing their unique narratives and artistic expressions to the forefront. The event not only serves as a performance space but also as a gathering that fosters dialogue and connection among writers and audiences alike. By immersing oneself in the powerful words and stories shared during the series, participants are invited to explore themes o...

Creative Chronicles

  Creative Chronicles. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  At the time when digital art began in the 1980s, I was 4 - 13 and a student at NationHouse. I did not start creating digital art until 2009. With over a decade of experience in digital art, I have honed my skills in various techniques and styles. I specialize in creating captivating and visually stunning digital artworks that evoke emotion and tell a story. Upon waking up from my restful sleep and unaware of the discussions taking place, I began to implement my routine and examine my digital art.  Creative Chronicles using vibrant colors and varied brush techniques. 

Silent Expressions

  The act of conveying messages without the use of spoken words is a profound form of communication. This silent expression can manifest through various means, such as body language, facial expressions, and gestures. In many instances, the subtleties of silence can convey emotions, feelings, and thoughts more powerfully than verbal articulation. Silence is not merely the absence of sound but a rich tapestry of meaning that can enhance relationships and facilitate deeper connections. I have said many things in silence. However, I remain puzzled as to why so many single straight men over the age of 30 remain clueless.  Real genuine love is an emotional expression built of genuine feelings and affection. Not personal agendas and manipulation.  This post is inspired by the “Say it with Silence, “ by Hubert Laws, 1978 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppl-lDRVUzo). In 1978, I was 2 years old and drew attraction to many things. 

Inequality

Inequality. Digital art created on canvas. August 2, 2024. Afrika Abney Red, brown and yellow represent inequality. The use of red in this piece serves as a powerful representation of passion and urgency, reflecting the emotional weight of inequality that affects countless individuals. In contrast, the warm tones of yellow evoke feelings of hope and optimism, suggesting that change is possible despite the challenges faced. The brown undertones ground the composition, symbolizing the historical context of inequality and the deep-rooted issues that continue to shape our society. "Inequality" is not just a painting; it is a call to action, urging viewers to reflect on their own perceptions of inequality and the role they play in addressing these issues. “Color inequality is a form of discrimination that involves treating someone differently because of their skin color, complexion, shade, or tone. It can also include treating someone unfavorably because of personal characteristic...

Expression of Influence

  Quote found on the Internet  Expression of Influence.Digital art created on canvas. October 27, 2024. Afrika Abney  Some of the people that influenced and inspired me include Mr. Marvin Sinn, Mr. Winston Kennedy, Mr. Jorge Somarriba, Ms. Georgette Powell and Ms. Lois M. Jones. Mr. Marvin Sin "Born and raised in the Bedford-Stuyvesant community of Brooklyn, New York, Marvin Sin is a cultural activist and a self-taught artist working in leather. His hobby became a lifelong passion during the Black Arts movement of the early 1970s. He recalls, “The artists I met in Harlem during that period were a great influence on me. The Weusi Artists of Harlem, the Africobra Artists of Chicago, the Black Theater Movement, the poetry, dance, fashion, and general spirit of celebrating African culture shaped my creative and political sensibilities powerfully and permanently.” He found leather to be a medium that involved drawing, painting, sculpting, and that enabled him to master a craft...

Past work experiences

Ms. Afrika Abney is a versatile and experienced professional within the arts and education industries, with a proven track record of designing, coordinating, and producing a wide array of creative events and workshops. With a background in hosting numerous poetry and literary events, as well as managing and conducting visual art workshops at various community centers and organizations, Ms. Abney has showcased her expertise in both event management and arts instruction. She has provided visual arts instruction to a diverse range of institutions, including Edlavitch Jewish Community Center of Washington, DC (2018), and Mundo Verde Public Charter Schools (2013 - 2014), among others. In addition to her visual arts expertise, Ms. Abney has also provided dance instruction at esteemed institutions such as Joy of Motion Dance Center (2013 - 2015) and M.O.M.I.E.S. TLC's Summer camp (2015), demonstrating her commitment to the art of dance. With a proven ability to lead and inspire individual...

THE HONORABLE ANITA JOSEY-HERRING - Special Guest for the Discovering Me Summit and Awards Ceremony

       THE HONORABLE ANITA JOSEY-HERRING, chief judge, Superior Court of the District of Columbia, was appointed to the bench in November 1997 by President William Clinton. She was selected as chief judge on July 21, 2020 and was sworn in on Oct. 16, 2020. She has had a very distinguished career. As an Associate Judge, she served in the Family, Civil and Criminal Divisions of the court. In 2000, Judge Josey-Herring was appointed by the Chief Judge to serve as the Deputy Presiding Judge of the Family Court and later served as the Presiding Judge of the Family Court from 2006 through 2008. During her service in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, Chief Judge Josey-Herring has led numerous initiatives to improve the quality of justice and service to litigants and attorneys alike. She led the highly regarded Family Treatment Court Initiative that provides drug treatment and social services to mothers charged with neglecting their children due to substanc...

Experience Essence

A highly experienced consultant with a remarkable track record of delivering exceptional results across various industries, she is adept at providing strategic guidance and effective solutions to complex challenges. Her specialization involves the creation and implementation of innovative strategies that drive business growth and improve operational performance. With a strong foundation in communication and analytical skills, she has a deep understanding of market trends and industry standards, which empowers her to craft customized solutions that address the specific requirements of each client. Currently, she is collaborating with MidnightRose, where Ms. Abney is fulfilling her role as a consultant by disseminating information about an upcoming event scheduled for September 14, 2024, at Tenley Library. Her responsibilities include utilizing email and social media platforms to promote the event, ensuring that the relevant audience is informed and engaged. Through her efforts, she ai...

How I became a consultant?

I became a consultant while I was a student attending Bell Multicultural High School. I  participated in the Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton's Congressional Art Competition in 1992 and 1993. During this time, I also had other opportunities where I was able to provide my services. These opportunities allowed me to utilize my formal training and education in the visual arts component to offer and provide services  to companies, small businesses, individuals and other places. I attended Bell from 1991-1993. I graduated in 1993 and was 16 at that time. Years later, I donated the painting shown in the above photo. Additionally, I gave away the clothing articles and jewelry shown in the photo above. I have successfully implemented numerous creative strategies using my abstract art and background in the visual arts to achieve excellent creative campaigns for each individual event that I have provided services as a consultant.   ​As a consultant, I believe the key to a s...