Skip to main content

Echoes of Affection

 

Echoes of Affection. Digital art created on canvas. December 29, 2024. Afrika Abney 


“Long nights, short mornings (2016 television movie) is about an examination of the romantic life of a young man in New York City and his sometimes fleeting, sometimes profound experiences with the women he encounters.”


I visited New York City from 1992 - 1993 and was a high school student at that time. Yesterday, I watched this movie and am not an advocate of open relationships. I believe in long term commitment, respect, trust, honesty and candidness. 


In 2016, I provided numerous services and have not provided any dance services since 2016. 


Popular posts from this blog

Canvas of Experiences

  Canvas of Experiences. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  I am a dedicated and passionate professional. In the 1990s up until 1996, I was a teenager. I chose brown ochre to represent the color of my skin. White and black to represent the racism and discrimination that I began to experience in the 1990s and continued beyond the 1990s. There is darkness within the experiences of racism and discrimination. However, the contrasting colors represent the persistence of overcoming the hardships of experiencing racism and discrimination. Selected 1992 - 1993 Experiences: Congressional Art Competition. 1992 - 1993 ART CURATOR. New Harlem Gallery, New York City. 1992 - 1993. Installed art for some of the exhibitions held at the New Harlem Gallery. Past 1995 - 1998 Workshops: KUUMBA ARTS AND CRAFTS PROGRAM. D.C. Department of Recreation (Emery Recreation Center, Parkview Recreation Center, Hamilton Recreation Center and Upshur Recreation Center) from 1997 - ...

MIDNIGHTROSE: A Reading Series of Poetry and Prose features Mr. Kenneth Carroll, Ms. Elizabeth Bruce and Ms.Sasa Aakil

  “MidnightRose serves as a vibrant platform that highlights the diverse voices of multigenerational and multicultural writers from the Washington Metropolitan Region and beyond. This initiative is brought to life by Esther Productions Inc., in collaboration with The Institute for African American Writing and The Black Student Fund. The series aims to celebrate the literary talents within the community, showcasing a variety of poetic and prose works that reflect the rich tapestry of experiences and perspectives that define the region. Attendees of MidnightRose can expect to engage with a dynamic array of award-winning poets and authors, each bringing their unique narratives and artistic expressions to the forefront. The event not only serves as a performance space but also as a gathering that fosters dialogue and connection among writers and audiences alike. By immersing oneself in the powerful words and stories shared during the series, participants are invited to explore themes o...

Creative Chronicles

  Creative Chronicles. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  At the time when digital art began in the 1980s, I was 4 - 13 and a student at NationHouse. I did not start creating digital art until 2009. With over a decade of experience in digital art, I have honed my skills in various techniques and styles. I specialize in creating captivating and visually stunning digital artworks that evoke emotion and tell a story. Upon waking up from my restful sleep and unaware of the discussions taking place, I began to implement my routine and examine my digital art.  Creative Chronicles using vibrant colors and varied brush techniques. 

Unique capabilities and dedication

Unique capabilities and dedication. Digital art created on canvas. August 4, 2024. Afrika Abney Unique Capabilities is an abstract painting that embodies creativity, individuality, and innovation. It exudes a sense of dedication, loyalty, and a drive for excellence. The bold and dynamic nature of the artwork reflects my commitment to pushing boundaries and finding innovative solutions to achieve success in every project undertaken. The vibrant colors, yellow and orange, and the abstract composition of the painting symbolizes my unique capabilities and dedication to my craft. Much like my approach to my work, the painting stands out with its eye-catching design and powerful symbolism. It serves as a visual representation of the artist's work ethic and values, showcasing a commitment to excellence and a passion for pushing the boundaries of creativity. Just as the painting "Unique capabilities and dedication" captures attention with its energetic composition, my work exce...

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Implementation of innovative strategies

  In the upcoming months, specifically from the fall of 2024 through June 2025, I will be focusing on the development and implementation of innovative strategies to enhance the services I offer in the realm of art and consulting. This period will mark a significant transition in my professional approach, as I will no longer be providing complimentary or educational services. Instead, my emphasis will shift towards delivering high-quality, value-driven offerings that align with the evolving needs of my clientele. For those who are interested in engaging my services, whether they are prospective clients or previous clients, it is essential that all requests be submitted in writing. This formal approach will ensure that I can adequately assess and respond to each inquiry with the attention it deserves. By establishing this protocol, I aim to streamline communication and foster a more professional relationship with those seeking my expertise in art and consulting.

THE HONORABLE ANITA JOSEY-HERRING - Special Guest for the Discovering Me Summit and Awards Ceremony

       THE HONORABLE ANITA JOSEY-HERRING, chief judge, Superior Court of the District of Columbia, was appointed to the bench in November 1997 by President William Clinton. She was selected as chief judge on July 21, 2020 and was sworn in on Oct. 16, 2020. She has had a very distinguished career. As an Associate Judge, she served in the Family, Civil and Criminal Divisions of the court. In 2000, Judge Josey-Herring was appointed by the Chief Judge to serve as the Deputy Presiding Judge of the Family Court and later served as the Presiding Judge of the Family Court from 2006 through 2008. During her service in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, Chief Judge Josey-Herring has led numerous initiatives to improve the quality of justice and service to litigants and attorneys alike. She led the highly regarded Family Treatment Court Initiative that provides drug treatment and social services to mothers charged with neglecting their children due to substanc...

Unboxed Potential

  Unboxed Potential. Digital art created on canvas. November 28, 2024. Afrika Abney Fitting into society itself is discrimination. Automatically placing a label onto a person stating that they do not fit into society or into your little box. This is how many people lose people and how many people lose interest.  I was not born to fit into your little box of rules and standards. I was born to make a difference in people’s lives. I have achieved that mission numerous times since 1989. Because you believe that I do not fit into your little box does not become my problem, it becomes yours. You have missed out on the opportunity to know what creates me. 

Silent Expressions

  The act of conveying messages without the use of spoken words is a profound form of communication. This silent expression can manifest through various means, such as body language, facial expressions, and gestures. In many instances, the subtleties of silence can convey emotions, feelings, and thoughts more powerfully than verbal articulation. Silence is not merely the absence of sound but a rich tapestry of meaning that can enhance relationships and facilitate deeper connections. I have said many things in silence. However, I remain puzzled as to why so many single straight men over the age of 30 remain clueless.  Real genuine love is an emotional expression built of genuine feelings and affection. Not personal agendas and manipulation.  This post is inspired by the “Say it with Silence, “ by Hubert Laws, 1978 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppl-lDRVUzo). In 1978, I was 2 years old and drew attraction to many things. 

How I became a consultant?

I became a consultant while I was a student attending Bell Multicultural High School. I  participated in the Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton's Congressional Art Competition in 1992 and 1993. During this time, I also had other opportunities where I was able to provide my services. These opportunities allowed me to utilize my formal training and education in the visual arts component to offer and provide services  to companies, small businesses, individuals and other places. I attended Bell from 1991-1993. I graduated in 1993 and was 16 at that time. Years later, I donated the painting shown in the above photo. Additionally, I gave away the clothing articles and jewelry shown in the photo above. I have successfully implemented numerous creative strategies using my abstract art and background in the visual arts to achieve excellent creative campaigns for each individual event that I have provided services as a consultant.   ​As a consultant, I believe the key to a s...