Festivity Fusion. Digital art created on canvas. November 23, 2024. Afrika Abney
"I am a Black Woman is a poem that highlights the unique struggles that African Americans have faced throughout history, specifically focusing on African American women, and how that shaped them today as strong and resilient people. With strong use of symbolism and allusions, Evans notes specific times throughout history that have played major roles in the suffering of African American women. The poem highlights how this history of suffering and pain have helped define the black woman today as strong, and this unwavering strength is what it means to be a black woman. " I Am a Black Woman by Mari Evans I am a black woman the music of my song some sweet arpeggio of tears is written in a minor key and I can be heard humming in the night Can be heard humming in the night I saw my mate leap screaming to the sea and I/with these hands/cupped the lifebreath from my issue in the canebrake I lost Nat’s swinging body in a rain of tears and...