Skip to main content

Expression of Influence

 

Quote found on the Internet 




Expression of Influence.Digital art created on canvas. October 27, 2024. Afrika Abney 


Some of the people that influenced and inspired me include Mr. Marvin Sinn, Mr. Winston Kennedy, Mr. Jorge Somarriba, Ms. Georgette Powell and Ms. Lois M. Jones.



Mr. Marvin Sin



"Born and raised in the Bedford-Stuyvesant community of Brooklyn, New York, Marvin Sin is a cultural activist and a self-taught artist working in leather. His hobby became a lifelong passion during the Black Arts movement of the early 1970s. He recalls, “The artists I met in Harlem during that period were a great influence on me. The Weusi Artists of Harlem, the Africobra Artists of Chicago, the Black Theater Movement, the poetry, dance, fashion, and general spirit of celebrating African culture shaped my creative and political sensibilities powerfully and permanently.” He found leather to be a medium that involved drawing, painting, sculpting, and that enabled him to master a craft that was utilitarian. Deeply committed to serving the African American community, Sin has advocated and organized for a wide range of issues combining art/craft, culture, economics, and politics."




Mr. Winston Kennedy




"Winston Kennedy, an artist and art historian, is professor emeritus from Howard University, Washington, DC. There, he taught printmaking, art management and photography, and other courses for 29 years. He was, during part of that time, chairman of the Art Department and director of the Gallery of Art. As an artist he has exhibited his prints in galleries and museums in the United States, South America and Europe."




Mr. Jorge Somarriba




"Jorge Somarriba, a Nicaraguan born artist who lives in Gaithersburg. He immigrated to the United States in 1975 and has taught art at the Bell Multicultural High School and Norwood School in Bethesda.”




Ms. Georgetta S. Powell




"Georgette Seabrook Powell was born in Charleston, SC in 1916 and raised in New York City. After graduating from The Cooper Union School of Art, she became active in the Harlem Arts Workshop. Powell was inspired by Augusta Savage (A’25), a young sculptor and the newly appointed director of the Harlem Arts Workshop. Powell learned from the dedication Savage gave to teaching arts in the Harlem community, and teaching became a cornerstone in her life as well.




Powell was employed by the WPA, along with a team of artists, to create a series of murals for the Harlem Hospital Art Project. Her murals, titled Recreation in Harlem, depicted the daily lives, struggles and joys of Harlem’s residents. Once the murals had been completed, they were pronounced “too controversial” by the hospital’s director, who insisted they be painted over. The matter became a life-defining battle for her. She insisted that she was free to create her vision of the Harlem community, and refused to alter the murals. Ensuing court battles finally found in favor of Powell. Half a century later, her murals are a silent tribute to her fortitude as both an artist and community activist. The murals express the quintessential flavor of the period. Over many years, they have begun to deteriorate, but Harlem Hospital has raised funds and full restoration of the murals is expected.




Powell continued painting after she became a busy homemaker, married a doctor in 1936, and focused on raising three children and caring for her aging mother. She continued her involvement with neighborhood beautification projects and cultural activities for children. By the early 1950s, New York’s distinguished Turtle Bay Music School had developed a program using art as a means of therapy. Powell was accepted as a student and, after she completed studies there, became an art therapist. While studying she met a psychologist from Washington and together they began the first journal dedicated to their subject, the American Journal of Art Therapy.




After 40 years living in New York, Powell and her husband relocated to Washington D.C. She volunteered at area hospitals until a former teacher, a supervisor of the occupational therapy department at D.C. General Hospital, hired her as her assistant in the acute psychiatry division.



She became a clinical supervisor of art therapists at George Washington University and established an annual community program, Art in the Park. Powell founded and taught at Tomorrow’s World Art Center, a community program that offered art therapy and education services to the young and elderly of metropolitan area Washington D.C.




Powell also studied stage design and lighting at Fordham University and received a B.F.A. from Howard University’s College without Walls. Her paintings have been exhibited throughout the United States for more than half a century. In 1995, the Smithsonian Institution’s Anacostia Museum in Washington mounted a two-month retrospective of her paintings.



Powell is the recipient of many awards citing her lifetime of achievements in art, as a dedicated teacher, community leader and art activist. She was honored by the late President Ronald Reagan whose 1986 letter states, “You are the rare combination, a doer and a teacher.” Powell received the 2003 Visionary Leadership Project, Legacy Keeper award presented at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the Library of Congress.



In April 2008, The Cooper Union presented Georgette Seabrook Powell with a Lifetime Achievement Award."




Ms. Lois M. Jones




“Ms. Lois M. Jones has championed the international artistic achievement of African-American art. She has also been an important role model for other African-American artists, particularly those involved with her design and watercolor courses at Howard University from 1930 to 1977.


Popular posts from this blog

Consultant Strategies

Ms. Afrika Abney, in her role as a consultant, effectively leverages social media channels to disseminate information about the various services she offers. By utilizing these platforms, she not only reaches a wider audience but also engages potential clients in a more interactive manner. Her approach includes posting visually appealing flyers that highlight upcoming events, ensuring that her audience is well-informed and excited about what she has to offer. To enhance her promotional efforts, Ms. Abney employs a variety of strategies when sharing event flyers on social media. This includes crafting compelling captions that resonate with her target audience, utilizing hashtags to increase visibility, and timing her posts for maximum engagement. By carefully curating her content, she creates a buzz around her events, encouraging her followers to participate and share the information within their own networks. In addition to static posts, Ms. Abney incorporates dynamic video content to f...

Me, Myself and Our Story: A Creative Writing Institute in Poetry,Short Story and Memoir Writing

  Me, Myself and Our Story: A Creative Writing Institute in Poetry,Short Story and Memoir Writing   Feb 10, 2024, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM EST 901 G St. NW, Washington, DC -Room 401-E Esther Productions Inc. is presenting a professional creative writing institute providing instruction in poetry, fiction and memoir writing. Course of study will provide six weeks of focus and instruction on each topic. That is six weeks of poetry, six weeks of fiction and six weeks of memoir writing.  The Institute is for young ladies 15-19 years old who have an interest in creative writing. The first session will be in poetry. Students should be prepared to attend all six sessions. Registration is required; seating is limited. So register now!  - www.estherproductionsinc.com/events-1/me-myself-and-our-story-a-creative-writing-institute-in-poetry-short-story-and-memoir-writing For more information: write to estherproductionsinc@gmail.com Please note these workshops are only for young ladies ...

Kaleidoscope

“The kaleidoscope represents the endless possibilities within human experience. Each of us has unique patterns that change in different lights. It symbolizes unlimited views, opportunities, and the release of blocked creativity. Kaleidoscope indeed gives us many life lessons. It teaches us the importance of colors, shapes & sizes, and how to maintain a unique, distinctive pattern. It boils down to the choice of whether you want to lift the Kaleidoscope and allow the light to pass through to bring vibrant, unique designs to life or not.” https://afrikaabneyconsultant.weebly.com/kaleidoscope-a-monthly-writing-club.html https://afrikaabneyconsultant.weebly.com/membership-announcement-kaleidoscope-womens-writing-collective.html https://afrikaabneyconsultant.weebly.com/kaleidoscope-women-of-color-reflecting-on-life-a-poetry-reading.html https://afrikaabneyconsultant.weebly.com/kaleidoscope-womens-writing-collective-accepting-new-members.html

Mr. David C. Miller presenter

  Esther Productions Inc., The Black Student Fund and Tenley-Friendship Library present a special edition of MIDNIGHTROSE: A Reading Series of Poetry and Prose on Feb. 8, 2025 from 11 am to 1pm for the entire family.  For further questions, please send them to midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com . https://www.estherproductionsinc.com/events-1/special-black-history-month-midnightrose-a-reading-series-of-poetry-and-prose-focusing-on-childrens-literature "Baltimore native, David C. Miller, has received international acclaim for Dare to Be King: What If the Prince Lives . A Survival Workbook for African American Males, a thought-provoking, 52-week curriculum teaching adolescent males how to survive and thrive in toxic environments. Miller is a Ph.D. Candidate in the School of Social Work at Morgan State University with a primary concentration on Black Fatherhood. Miller has written several children’s books, including Chef Toussaint , Khalil’s Way , Brooklyn’s Finest: The Greene Fa...

Inequality

Inequality. Digital art created on canvas. August 2, 2024. Afrika Abney Red, brown and yellow represent inequality. The use of red in this piece serves as a powerful representation of passion and urgency, reflecting the emotional weight of inequality that affects countless individuals. In contrast, the warm tones of yellow evoke feelings of hope and optimism, suggesting that change is possible despite the challenges faced. The brown undertones ground the composition, symbolizing the historical context of inequality and the deep-rooted issues that continue to shape our society. "Inequality" is not just a painting; it is a call to action, urging viewers to reflect on their own perceptions of inequality and the role they play in addressing these issues. “Color inequality is a form of discrimination that involves treating someone differently because of their skin color, complexion, shade, or tone. It can also include treating someone unfavorably because of personal characteristic...

Straightforward Interactions

  I am not Christian. I was introduced to various religious practices when I was a student. I am not playing mind games and entertaining assumptions, gossip and rude jokes. To grab my attention, you must demonstrate respect, honest and trustworthy behavior. I am a straightforward, transparent and authentic human being who has had the opportunity to work at various settings from the 1980s - 2018. It is not the past. I have not scheduled any virtual meetings, video chats, nor interviews. Stop speaking to other people that do not know me at all. I am not interested in dating women nor boys. I am not interested in dating married men and senior citizens. I am not a senior citizen.I am a single straight female over the age of 30 who only has interest and attraction to single straight male over the age of 30. Stop trying to play matchmaker. Only I know what my tastes are.  Stop having me spell things out. The only telephone number that I have is 202-384-5925. Contact - 202-384-5925 W...

Music

Louis Armstrong once said, "Music is life itself. What would this world be without good music? No matter what kind it is." This quote deeply resonates with me as I reflect on my own journey with music. I firmly believe that Black culture and American music are intricately intertwined, with roots dating back to the arrival of enslaved Africans on American soil. The fusion of African rhythms and melodies with European influences has profoundly shaped the landscape of American music, influencing generations of artists and listeners alike. With a background in creating art inspired by music, I am dedicated to honoring the rich history of Black culture in shaping American music through my work. I have had the privilege of immersing myself in the talents of various musicians at Malcolm X Park until 2015 and collaborating with renowned organizations such as the Malcolm X Drummers and Dancers, Akoma Drummers, and Bele Bele Rhythm Collective. These experiences have not only honed my k...

Bold Radiance

    Bold Radiance. Digital art created on canvas. September 19, 2024. Afrika Abney   Good morning, I trust that you enjoyed a peaceful evening and had a restorative night's sleep. Today is Thursday, September 19, 2024, I wish you a day filled with safety and vibrant experiences that bring joy and inspiration. My journey to Brightwood, Washington, DC, began during my college years.  From 1995 - 1998, I conducted my visual arts workshops in numerous areas of the Brightwood community.   In my artistic endeavors, I chose to work with vibrant shades of yellow for my digital abstract painting, utilizing the paintapp software. This color selection was intentional, as yellow often symbolizes positivity and energy, which I aimed to convey through my artwork. The process of creating this piece allowed me to explore the interplay of light and form. PAST VISUAL ARTS WORKSHOP held in the Brightwood Community KUUMBA ARTS AND CRAFTS PROGRAM. D.C. Department of Recrea...

Transparent Experiences

    Starting from the beginning means understanding that my journey is different from yours. Trying to obtain if I am joking, means that you really were not transparent when I met you. I was 2 years old in 1978 and enrolled at NationHouse. I participated in numerous activities when I was a student at NationHouse. At Bell, from 1991-1993, I was 14 -16. I have no clue who nominated me to participate in the completion that I participated in from 1992-1993. When I was a student, I was only attracted to boys. Boys who act like gentlemen. As an adult over the age of 30, I am only attracted to single straight male over the age of 30 who act like gentlemen. When I worked in various settings, I was only interested in the services that I provided, not dating. It is unethical for me to go on dates when employed. I have removed myself from those settings. Since 2018, I have not provided any educational, career day and free services. Better questions produce stronger answers.I have thrown ...

What's Happening?

Quote from the Internet What is happening in a world filled with judgement, prejudice, gossip, deception, and discrimination? Well, some of those things have been depicted in Ms. Afrika Abney's art. However, from June 3 to July 2, 2024, she discarded several abstract collages and paintings as she felt they did not represent her best work. Ms. Abney is actively looking for paid opportunities and has posted her resume on platforms like Indeed and Creatively. Ms. Abney aims to showcase her services to a diverse range of clients. She has worked with clients like New Harlem Gallery, Wisteria Artspace, and Emma Mae Gallery. She has also served notable individuals such as Rev. Dr. Sandra Butler-Truesdale, Gloria Quirarte, and Doc Powell. These services have ranged from art exhibitions, dance performances, event management, event promotions, and social media marketing. Additionally, Ms. Abney has collaborated with institutions like The Phillips Collection and The Corcoran Gallery of Art. M...