Skip to main content

Workplaces

Before the pandemic, I had multiple workplaces like The Festival Center, Potter's House, and New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. Outdoor work settings, like Rock Creek Park (2010 - 2018) and the Zoo (2007 - 2018), involve working outside in natural elements rather than inside a building.











I frequented Rock Creek Park and the Zoo to find information to create my abstract digital art and abstract paintings. 

Popular posts from this blog

MIDNIGHTROSE: A Reading Series of Poetry and Prose features Mr. Kenneth Carroll, Ms. Elizabeth Bruce and Ms.Sasa Aakil

  “MidnightRose serves as a vibrant platform that highlights the diverse voices of multigenerational and multicultural writers from the Washington Metropolitan Region and beyond. This initiative is brought to life by Esther Productions Inc., in collaboration with The Institute for African American Writing and The Black Student Fund. The series aims to celebrate the literary talents within the community, showcasing a variety of poetic and prose works that reflect the rich tapestry of experiences and perspectives that define the region. Attendees of MidnightRose can expect to engage with a dynamic array of award-winning poets and authors, each bringing their unique narratives and artistic expressions to the forefront. The event not only serves as a performance space but also as a gathering that fosters dialogue and connection among writers and audiences alike. By immersing oneself in the powerful words and stories shared during the series, participants are invited to explore themes o...

Canvas of Experiences

  Canvas of Experiences. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  I am a dedicated and passionate professional. In the 1990s up until 1996, I was a teenager. I chose brown ochre to represent the color of my skin. White and black to represent the racism and discrimination that I began to experience in the 1990s and continued beyond the 1990s. There is darkness within the experiences of racism and discrimination. However, the contrasting colors represent the persistence of overcoming the hardships of experiencing racism and discrimination. Selected 1992 - 1993 Experiences: Congressional Art Competition. 1992 - 1993 ART CURATOR. New Harlem Gallery, New York City. 1992 - 1993. Installed art for some of the exhibitions held at the New Harlem Gallery. Past 1995 - 1998 Workshops: KUUMBA ARTS AND CRAFTS PROGRAM. D.C. Department of Recreation (Emery Recreation Center, Parkview Recreation Center, Hamilton Recreation Center and Upshur Recreation Center) from 1997 - ...

Creative Chronicles

  Creative Chronicles. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  At the time when digital art began in the 1980s, I was 4 - 13 and a student at NationHouse. I did not start creating digital art until 2009. With over a decade of experience in digital art, I have honed my skills in various techniques and styles. I specialize in creating captivating and visually stunning digital artworks that evoke emotion and tell a story. Upon waking up from my restful sleep and unaware of the discussions taking place, I began to implement my routine and examine my digital art.  Creative Chronicles using vibrant colors and varied brush techniques. 

Silent Expressions

  The act of conveying messages without the use of spoken words is a profound form of communication. This silent expression can manifest through various means, such as body language, facial expressions, and gestures. In many instances, the subtleties of silence can convey emotions, feelings, and thoughts more powerfully than verbal articulation. Silence is not merely the absence of sound but a rich tapestry of meaning that can enhance relationships and facilitate deeper connections. I have said many things in silence. However, I remain puzzled as to why so many single straight men over the age of 30 remain clueless.  Real genuine love is an emotional expression built of genuine feelings and affection. Not personal agendas and manipulation.  This post is inspired by the “Say it with Silence, “ by Hubert Laws, 1978 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppl-lDRVUzo). In 1978, I was 2 years old and drew attraction to many things. 

Inequality

Inequality. Digital art created on canvas. August 2, 2024. Afrika Abney Red, brown and yellow represent inequality. The use of red in this piece serves as a powerful representation of passion and urgency, reflecting the emotional weight of inequality that affects countless individuals. In contrast, the warm tones of yellow evoke feelings of hope and optimism, suggesting that change is possible despite the challenges faced. The brown undertones ground the composition, symbolizing the historical context of inequality and the deep-rooted issues that continue to shape our society. "Inequality" is not just a painting; it is a call to action, urging viewers to reflect on their own perceptions of inequality and the role they play in addressing these issues. “Color inequality is a form of discrimination that involves treating someone differently because of their skin color, complexion, shade, or tone. It can also include treating someone unfavorably because of personal characteristic...

The act of blogging

  Blogging has been a crucial part of my career journey since I started as a consultant at 15. I realized the importance of sharing my insights with a wider audience, leading me to start my own blog in 2017. The act of blogging has significantly enriched my professional life and through this platform, I have the opportunity to explore various subjects related to consulting, while also receiving feedback and engaging in dialogue with my readers. This interaction not only enhances my understanding of the topics I cover but also inspires me to continue evolving as a consultant and a writer, ensuring that my contributions remain relevant and impactful.

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Mary Evans, I am A Black Woman

    "I am a Black Woman  is a poem that highlights the unique struggles that African Americans have faced throughout history, specifically focusing on African American women, and how that shaped them today as strong and resilient people. With strong use of symbolism and allusions, Evans notes specific times throughout history that have played major roles in the suffering of African American women. The poem highlights how this history of suffering and pain have helped define the black woman today as strong, and this unwavering strength is what it means to be a black woman. " I Am a Black Woman by Mari Evans I am a black woman the music of my song some sweet arpeggio of tears is written in a minor key and I can be heard humming in the night Can be heard humming in the night I saw my mate leap screaming to the sea and I/with these hands/cupped the lifebreath from  my issue in the canebrake I lost Nat’s swinging body in a rain of tears and...

DR. LINDA NIELSEN in conversation with jonetta rose barras

   THE NATIONAL RECONCILIATION WEEK For Self & Family June 7, 2023 12:30-1:00 pm A Virtual Event DR. LINDA NIELSEN in conversation with jonetta rose barras You’ve heard the tales: Dads’ incomes matter more than fathering. Dads’ parenting styles can’t measure up to Moms. Dads don’t have much impact on children’s cognitive skills. Are any of those statements true? A foremost international authority on father-daughter relations, shared parenting and separated parents,  Dr. Nielson, professor at Wake Forest University, will discuss her most recent book—MYTHS AND LIES ABOUT DADS: How They Hurt Us All (Routledge 2023). This groundbreaking publication slays more than 100 of the most damaging beliefs about fathers—some of them may be at the root of the estrangement in your family. Dr. Nielsen explains how to put an end to such harmful tales, allowing everyone—children and parents—to free themselves and their relationships.  JOIN US FOR A PROVOCATIVE AND INFORMATIVE CONVE...

The Visual Artist

“Artists should be fairly compensated for their work, as they put their hearts and souls into their creations. When hiring an artist, it is important to remember that their fees may vary based on industry and project requirements.” Ms. Afrika Abney is a talented visual artist with over 30 years of experience, known for her abstract paintings and collages showcased at prestigious galleries and events. Her work has been recognized by esteemed collectors and organizations, including having her art featured on book covers. SELECTED ACCOMPLISHMENTS ● Participated in the Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton's Congressional Art Competition in 1992 and 1993. ● Art featured on brochure (African Heritage. 1992. Donated) and book cover entitled: Kaleidoscope: Women of Color Reflecting on Life (published in 2022) PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES Visual Artist. Virtual Art Exhibition and Poetry Reading. February 19, 2023 Visual Artist. The National Daughter Daddy Tour. National City Christian Church, Wa...