Skip to main content

CAROLE BROTHERS, AGAPE DOLLS AND JOYCE LOMAX CREATIONS AT SHILOH BC

 "Carole Brothers began her career as a teacher and have combined her professional work with her creative impulse to become a freelance children's art and craft specialist as well as an artist in her own right. Carole began making dolls in 1999 after noticing that there were very few dolls that reflected both her African American heritage and her Christian values. With a creative spirit and deft hands, Brothers has integrated a number of techniques she has learned from various workshops over the years to create her one-of-a-kind pieces. She uses paints, dyes, textiles, mixed media, and surface manipulation to design dolls, figurines, and wall art. Her innovation leads her to incorporate found objects and household items in unusual ways. Carole describes her work as an "interpretation on doll-making from that dates to the earliest of times." Carole has been commissioned to do dolls for prominent clientele such as, The Smithsonian African American Museum Shop. Her work continues to excite customers and can also be found in their private collections throughout the United States of America."


" Agapedolls is a local woman-owned business that makes Handmade African American Dolls and other stuff. "

"Self-taught NY Doll Artist Tanya Montegut has participated in over 40 juried shows including The American Craft Show at The Jacob Javits Center in NY where she was spotlighted as a 'Trendsetter' and 'One Of The Most Talented Artisans' for her use of recycled materials. "

"Joyce Lomax Creations is a collection of original designs and hand-crafted products. The product line includes Magnets, Mugs, Throw Pillows, Custom Designed Toilet Seat Covers, Light Switch Covers, Prints, and Waste Baskets.

Joyce Lomax The Creator – Love of art came early to Joyce Lomax, who spent her childhood in Akron, Ohio. As a child, Joyce found herself drawing and painting and always exploring her creative expression.  The money was not there to support Joyce’s formal training in art, so she did what many of her forefathers did: SHE SELF TAUGHT!

Joyce explored many mediums before she embraced her pressed copper paintings and ceramic work. Her art is very earthy with a primitive flare depicting characters and experiences in her African American environment.  Some of her depictions are lighthearted with a bit of humor.

A love of color and expressing herself in mixed media is an accurate summary of Joyce’s work. She and her art can be found at many cultural events in and outside Atlanta, Georgia. Now Joyce has decided to bring her Art and Creations Online for the entire World to experience."


30th Annual BZB Shop til Ya Drop!


NOV 25-26th Black Friday & Saturday


SATURDAYS


Dec 3rd


Dec 10th


Dec 17th


Friday & Sat (Christmas Eve)


Dec 23-24


Shiloh Baptist Church


1510 9th Street NW(9th & P Sts)


Washington DC 20001


https://bzbinternational.com/


Popular posts from this blog

Color Beyond Skin

  Color Beyond Skin. Digital art created on canvas. November 30, 2024. Afrika Abney  What does the color of my skin have to do with you accepting me for who I am? Everything. However, no one is one hundred percent their ethnic background. I wish people would stop judging me based on the color of my skin. 

Honest Conversations

  “In the workplace, open communication means sharing information honestly and transparently at all levels of the organization. This means no one is kept in the dark.Honesty helps in developing good attributes like kindness, discipline, truthfulness, moral integrity and more.” Quote found on the Internet  With more than three decades of professional experience, I have come to recognize the critical role that transparent communication plays in fostering strong relationships. Engaging in sincere dialogues not only enhances trust but also cultivates a supportive environment among former clients and members of the community. This approach has proven to be instrumental in establishing connections that are both meaningful and enduring. Throughout my extensive career spanning over 30 years, I have consistently emphasized the value of open and honest discussions. Such interactions are essential for nurturing positive and constructive relationships with past clients and individuals wit...

SkyBlend Serenity

  SkyBlend Serenity. Digital art created on canvas. October 5, 2024. Afrika Abney   SkyBlend Serenity harmoniously merges the hues of light blue-green and green, each color carefully selected for its representation of serenity. The interplay of these shades evokes a sense of calmness and peace. 

MEMBERSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT: KALEIDOSCOPE WOMEN'S WRITING COLLECTIVE

    MEMBERSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT: KALEIDOSCOPE WOMEN'S WRITING COLLECTIVE Mar 04, 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM VIRTUAL EVENT KALEIDOSCOPE WOMEN’S WRITING COLLECTIVE is a monthly writing club for women 18 and older. This is a multi-generational, multi-ethnic, multi-racial group of women who  share their in-progress writings. Occasionally, the convenor, jonetta rose barras, or a guest author provides a writing prompt to instigate new creations. The group just published its first collection of poetry. More is expected as it grows.   It’s all free and virtual! REGISTER NOW! for more information:  estherproductions inc@gmail.com www.estherproductionsinc.com/ events-1/membership- announcement-kaleidoscope- womens-writing-collective- 2023-03-04-10-00  

Straightforward Interactions

  I am not Christian. I was introduced to various religious practices when I was a student. I am not playing mind games and entertaining assumptions, gossip and rude jokes. To grab my attention, you must demonstrate respect, honest and trustworthy behavior. I am a straightforward, transparent and authentic human being who has had the opportunity to work at various settings from the 1980s - 2018. It is not the past. I have not scheduled any virtual meetings, video chats, nor interviews. Stop speaking to other people that do not know me at all. I am not interested in dating women nor boys. I am not interested in dating married men and senior citizens. I am not a senior citizen.I am a single straight female over the age of 30 who only has interest and attraction to single straight male over the age of 30. Stop trying to play matchmaker. Only I know what my tastes are.  Stop having me spell things out. The only telephone number that I have is 202-384-5925. Contact - 202-384-5925 W...

Canvas of Experiences

  Canvas of Experiences. Digital art created on canvas. October 26, 2024. Afrika Abney  I am a dedicated and passionate professional. In the 1990s up until 1996, I was a teenager. I chose brown ochre to represent the color of my skin. White and black to represent the racism and discrimination that I began to experience in the 1990s and continued beyond the 1990s. There is darkness within the experiences of racism and discrimination. However, the contrasting colors represent the persistence of overcoming the hardships of experiencing racism and discrimination. Selected 1992 - 1993 Experiences: Congressional Art Competition. 1992 - 1993 ART CURATOR. New Harlem Gallery, New York City. 1992 - 1993. Installed art for some of the exhibitions held at the New Harlem Gallery. Past 1995 - 1998 Workshops: KUUMBA ARTS AND CRAFTS PROGRAM. D.C. Department of Recreation (Emery Recreation Center, Parkview Recreation Center, Hamilton Recreation Center and Upshur Recreation Center) from 1997 - ...

Bold Radiance

    Bold Radiance. Digital art created on canvas. September 19, 2024. Afrika Abney   Good morning, I trust that you enjoyed a peaceful evening and had a restorative night's sleep. Today is Thursday, September 19, 2024, I wish you a day filled with safety and vibrant experiences that bring joy and inspiration. My journey to Brightwood, Washington, DC, began during my college years.  From 1995 - 1998, I conducted my visual arts workshops in numerous areas of the Brightwood community.   In my artistic endeavors, I chose to work with vibrant shades of yellow for my digital abstract painting, utilizing the paintapp software. This color selection was intentional, as yellow often symbolizes positivity and energy, which I aimed to convey through my artwork. The process of creating this piece allowed me to explore the interplay of light and form. PAST VISUAL ARTS WORKSHOP held in the Brightwood Community KUUMBA ARTS AND CRAFTS PROGRAM. D.C. Department of Recrea...

Shades of Perseverance

        Shades of Perseverance. Digital art created on canvas. October 8, 2024. Afrika Abney  Shades of Perseverance is depicted with the layers of brush techniques, shades of brown against the solid background. When I was a teenager from 1989 - 1996, I implemented not only the shades of perseverance, but continued to move forward on graduating from each educational institution that I attended between 1989 - 1997.  According to my research, “the exploration of struggle and survival is vividly encapsulated in a palette dominated by earthy browns. This color scheme evokes a sense of resilience, reflecting the harsh realities faced by individuals and communities as they navigate through adversity. The various shades of brown symbolize the complexities of life, from the deep, rich tones that represent strength and endurance to the lighter hues that suggest hope and renewal. Each nuance tells a story of perseverance, illustrating how people confront challenges a...

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Pink Spectrum Bliss

  Pink Spectrum Bliss. Digital art created on canvas. August 12,  2024. Afrika Abney  “The spectrum of pink hues presents a delightful array of colors that evoke a sense of warmth and tenderness. From the softest blush reminiscent of early morning light to the vibrant fuchsia that commands attention, each shade carries its own unique charm. These variations can be seen in nature, from the delicate petals of cherry blossoms to the bold strokes of a sunset, illustrating how pink can range from subtle and soothing to bold and invigorating. Exploring the different tones of pink reveals a fascinating interplay of emotions and aesthetics. Light pinks often convey feelings of innocence and serenity, making them popular choices for nurseries and romantic settings. In contrast, deeper shades like magenta and raspberry exude confidence and energy, often used in fashion and design to make a striking statement. This versatility allows pink to be both a calming presence and a vibrant ...